Need to stay hydrated? Need your sweets? Did you know that milk is 90% water? It’s time to make chocolate milk your next sport drink!
Sport nutritionists suggest to fuel your body with carbohydrates when you are an endurance athlete to help replenish muscle glycogen. Most atheltes turn to sport drinks like Gatorade>. Yet, what you might not know is that chocolate milk has similar carbohydrate content to many of the leading sport drinks. In fact, in a study done at Indiana University in Bloomington, researchers found that when cyclists refueled with lowfat chocolate milk after pedaling to exhaustion, they biked longer and harder four hours later compared to the athletes who drank a sport drink, concluding that chocolate milk is an effective recovery aid following an exhausting exercise.
Here are some more reasons to replace sport drinks with chocolate milk:
- Milk helps strengthens bones, and promotes a healthy weight.
- The protein in the milk contains all of the essential amino acids for building or maintaining a lead body mass.
- Milk provides you with the essential electrolytes.
- Similar to a banana, milk has 10 times more potassium than most sport drinks.
- A single glass of milk gives you 20% of the phosphorus needed each day, helping to strengthen your bones and generate energy in your cells.
- Milk contains vitamins such as B-12, niacin and riboflavin, which are crucial in converting food to energy to fuel your muscles.
Bottoms up! :)
Check out more information on chocolate milk at CBS News