Spiritual notions abound today regarding finding your calling, and the typical message can be summed up like this: Follow your heart to align yourself with and find your divine purpose, and you'll find happiness and all the abundance you want, while avoiding life's challenges.
We love spiritual inspiration, but we recommend keeping your feet on the ground because New Age delusions, such as the platitudes above, can crash against the rocks of reality in the real world.
Our findings about the idea of a life purpose may surprise you. Below we list our long-term findings on the concept of a divine calling.
1. Everyone has a divine purpose. Every soul has reasons for incarnating.
2. We believe you (your soul, not personality) agree to and plan the general outline of your calling while in spirit form, before you incarnate.
3. Not everyone discovers his or her calling, such as the most appropriate career, in life at a young age. You may not discover your true calling until middle age, or even later, as it happens when it's supposed to.
4. You may have several divine purposes throughout your life, such as one seemingly major one requiring constant effort throughout your life, and several minor ones, or many seemingly minor ones, requiring little effort, or one single life purpose. Everyone is different.
5. Very few people's divine purpose includes wealth and, or fame. From the perspective of the other side, it's amusing how much people fawn over celebrities and entertainers. On the other side, superstars are just like you and me, and sometimes on a much lower level, spiritually speaking.
6. One or more of the following are common life purposes: speaking your truth about an issue (sometimes on a public platform, e.g., writing a blog); standing up for your sovereign and human rights; contributing your time and, or resources to those less fortunate; being a good sibling, father, mother, spouse, or friend (a very common life purpose); teaching; being who you really are, no matter how much others disagree; doing your work well, no matter how unimportant it seems, despite not becoming wealthy from it; living your everyday life and responding compassionately to things in life you can't change.
Your Love Life and Reincarnation
Why The Past Is Affecting Your Present
and How To Fix It
One thing that will help you find your calling is to get centered; detach from your inner fears, defenses, and daily mind dramas.
You can't control your subconscious mind, but you can temporarily detach from it through meditation and other disciplines that place you in a zone, which enables you to more easily focus on what's really important to you.
Unfortunately, it's sometimes too easy to get carried away with being too idealistic about goals related to life purpose, and how life "should" be. Acceptance of the world as it is and the people in your life as they are, and whatever else you can't control, is an important first step in avoiding unrealistic expectations.
We recommended avoiding confusing your true path in life with ego-self demands (things you want to do, but aren't practical) and avoiding matters relating to instant gratification, which only delay the completion of your goals. The more you are completely in synch with your personal fate (which is exactly the same as destiny), and your optimum direction in life (by getting centered--such as through meditation, as mentioned above), the less inner conflict you will experience.
Sometimes a life purpose doesn't work out the way you want, and the process instead of the goal might have been more important. Accepting that life sometimes includes unpleasantries that cannot be avoided, and that personal adversity and predetermination have a distinct purpose in life, goes a long way in keeping disappointment and despair at bay.
On a more mundane level, here's an interesting article about finding your calling in life.
No matter how insignificant your divine purpose seems to be, it's vital to your earthly mission (otherwise your soul wouldn't have planned it for your personality to experience) and probably a lot more important to the fate of others than you realize.
Find out more about various spiritual laws, your spiritual heritage and how to make the most of your unique personal fate in our
Direct Your Destiny e-package.
Our FREE Spiritual Detox Script can help you get rid of toxic energy so you have an easier time contacting your angels.
If you're feeling depressed, angry, fearful, or having a tough time quitting bad habits and addictions, our
Spiritual Detox MP3 can help.
Scott Petullo and Stephen Petullo, the Mystic Twins
HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR LIFE, WORK, GOALS, AND FUTURE?
Intuitive Readings with Stephen
Predictive, Compatibility, or Personality Analyses with Scott
WHAT'S BLOCKING YOU?
Remove unwanted and negative energy with the
Spiritual Detox (tm) audio
FAST AND EASY MEDITATION
Melt stress, relax, sleep better, and look better with no effort required with the Let Go (tm) recording
We're looking for destiny and free will case studies for future columns. Do you have a significant situation in your life that you're concerned about or one that did or did not turn out like you had hoped? E-mail us the situation, birth data of people involved (full birth names on legal birth certificates, exact time of birth, place and full date) and we may use your situation for a future column.
We regret that we will not be able to respond to everyone who writes. Names and birth data will be kept private and identifying details will be changed upon request.
The Destiny and Free Will Column is copyrighted 2003-2019
Scott Petullo and Stephen Petullo offer vital, yet sensible and practical spiritual guidance and tools, including their Spiritual Detox and Let Go MP3 meditation audios. Get their free report: 13 Spiritual and New Age Myths and 13 Other Spiritual Laws Besides the Law of Attraction. Website: spiritualgrowthnow.com They are the authors of Your Love Life and Reincarnation: Why The Past Is Affecting Your Present and How To Fix It.
Other Articles by Scott and Stephen Petullo
Why Sex is More Challenging for the Spiritually Sensitive
Sex and Spirituality - Why Great Sex is Rare
The Seven Most Disappointing Love Life Realities
17 Dating Tips for Mystics
Death, Spirit Possession, and Mediums
13 Other Spiritual Laws Beyond the Law of Attraction
Lucky Days Software
Excellent, accurate! Based on your day and time of birth. Calculates your luckiest days to meet someone new, get married, start a new project, invest, etc... No astrology knowledge is needed. Free Evaluation. Tested successfully on the BBC.
New Age Shops